The Other Place
The Other Place: A Feasibility Study was developed as part of the Weston Community Hubs project, funded by the Government through North Somerset Council and delivered by RENS.
This Feasibility Study outlines the original rationale for a Meanwhile Use community space, the research undertaken and draws a number of conclusions.
- Questions about whether additional Hubs were needed or not have been answered by the scale and variety of activity that has emerged at The Other Place
- Many of the communities that use the space are not visible in other hubs and multiple points of entry to a connected system are needed to build more inclusive communities
- Space for community-led activity is essential if NSC’s Empowering Communities Strategy is to succeed
- Rapid societal and systemic changes are in progress and we need to begin to think in terms of Transitional Spaces that provide opportunities to experiment with new ways of working
- A variety of models are needed to support transition and different financial models are emerging. There is no obvious solution at present and we will be continuing to explore ways to sustainably fund ongoing activities in ways that support core values and approach.